Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day two. Aberdeen to South Bend.

About 60 miles, only about 500' elevation gain.

Sun! After breakfast at the American Diner, I loaded up and took off under sunny skies and headed west. Traffic on Hwy. 105 was light, and the road flat. Scenery was mostly of mudflats along the river. I stopped for coffee at a little store in Grayland, and chatted with the owner for awhile. A little later, a stop for Gatorade in North Cove. Turning inland from here the scenery was quite nice. I have some pix that I will post after I add captions.

I met up and rode for awhile with another cyclotourist. David was from Vancouver BC and was riding south with no known destination. We chatted for awhile, but then parted ways as he was going to take a break to rest his knees which were giving him some grief.

In Raymond, I saw a group of about 5 cyclists, and rode with them into South Bend. I remembered that there is a bike path between the two towns, and it was nice to be off 101 for awhile.

I got a nice little cabin for the night, went to the Chester Club and Oyster Bar for a beer and a cheeseburger. Now just hangin out.

The weather is forecasted to be yucky tomorrow. I may try to make it to Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon and get a yurt.

2 comments:

  1. Will you take State Route 401?

    http://bit.ly/iKRb7l

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you make it to Fort Stevens take pictures of they yurt

    ReplyDelete